caitpeterson

Love Letters

A stay-at-home Mom with one rambunctious toddler. I read far too much and do too little of anything else.

Bad Boys Do (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #2)

Bad Boys Do (Donovan Brothers Brewery, #2) - Victoria Dahl Originally reviewed at Basia's Bookshelf

Jamie Donovan is the completely adorable older brother of Tessa from Girls Don't, the first book in the Donovan Brewery trilogy. Jamie desperately wants to leave his bad boy reputation behind, but is having a hard time convincing everyone that he is ready to be a grown-up. He wants more responsibility at the brewery, and is even thinking about trying out an adult relationship. You know, the kind where he sees the same woman more than once. In walks Olivia Bishop. She's as strait-laced as they come, folks. Perfectly coiffed hair, glasses perched on the tip of her nose and conservative clothes complete with pearls (okay, the pearls are from my imagination). Divorced a year, Olivia Bishop is looking to find her wild side. On a whim, Olivia invites Jamie to a work party, where her ex will be in attendance, to show everyone that she has moved on. One thing leads to another and Olivia and Jamie strike a deal. Jamie needs help turning his dreams of improvement at the brewery into reality, and Olivia wants him to teach her how to relax and have a little fun. And if they happen to tumble into bed along the way, so much the better.

As usual, they each have secrets and hang-ups preventing them from going all in. In this case, I thought the miscommunication between the two was a little too easy. And slightly ridiculous. Eye-rolling ridiculous. If this was a real life relationship, these are things that would have been easily communicated in the beginning. Olivia blew up at the end for the silliest reason and went off in a huff, and if she'd just asked Jamie about it, it wouldn't have been a problem. While I understand that there needs to be some kind of push-pull between the love birds, it came off too pat this time around.

I stated in my Good Girls Don't review that I was excited for the brother's books because I felt that they were the more interesting characters. I was right. Although, it could have a lot to do with the fact that Jamie is one of the more sexy male characters I've read in awhile. Oh boy, are the love scenes hot. Prepare to fan yourselves girls, and keep that cool glass of water handy. Jamie wears a kilt. 'Nuff said.

Olivia is.. Olivia. I was ambivalent about her for most of the book, until she ran off and pouted and then I was just annoyed. There really wasn't anything to set her apart from all the other prim heroines out there. It wasn't until the end of the story after she'd relaxed a bit that I finally caught the vision of Olivia Bishop. Perhaps that's the point. She's bland in the beginning, then becomes the real her through her relationship with Jamie. If so, then it worked.

My Summary: Victoria Dahl delivers another sexy, fun read in Bad Boys Do. It's your classic tale of bad boy turned good, just aching to prove himself. I think he found the right woman for him in Olivia Bishop. They helped each other grow, and move on from their insecurities and mistakes of the past. A very sweet love story with love scenes that will heat up the pages, and dialogue that will make you laugh out loud. Next up, it's Eric's story. Yippee!

My Rating: A