caitpeterson

Love Letters

A stay-at-home Mom with one rambunctious toddler. I read far too much and do too little of anything else.

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1)

Under the Never Sky (Under the Never Sky, #1) - Veronica Rossi I just want to get this out of the way before I say anything else: I loved this book. It was utterly captivating and I stayed up way too late because I couldn't put my Kindle down. It was like my hands had become permanently attached to it the moment I began reading this book and wouldn't let go until I finished. It was just that good.

Aria is living alone on Reverie after her mother left to continue her work in another pod, but they always meet weekly in the Realms. Her mother has missed their last few meetings, and Aria is afraid something terrible has happened. Desperate for news, she decides to become a groupie to the golden son of one of the men on the Reverie council. What should have been a harmless escapade outside of the pod turns ugly, and Aria glimpses her first Outsider, who saved her life. The golden boy's father wants to keep their little adventure a secret, and Aria is kicked out of Reverie and left for dead.

Perry lives in a small village near Reverie, and has broken into the pod to find any resources that could help his struggling village survive. Perry's brother is the village leader, and tensions between the two reach a boiling point when Perry's nephew is kidnapped by pod soldiers and Perry's brother (and the boy's father) refuses to go after him and get him back. Perry sets out to rescue his beloved nephew and finds Aria wandering around the desert, waiting to die. Knowing she might be his only chance to save his nephew, the two strike a deal and they set out to find Perry's nephew and what happened to Aria's mother.

Perry and Aria's love story is one of those epic ones that I'll always remember. They couldn't stand each other in the beginning, but over time the attraction grew and they found themselves in love with a person they never could have imagined. The story is told from both of their point-of-views, so I felt a strong emotional connection with both characters. Aria is thrust unwillingly into a world she knew nothing about and with Perry's guidance, she overcame her fears and found true happiness. Perry is your classic strong, silent type. He doesn't say much, but when he does you know it's important and should listen. Their conversations at the beginning of their journey made me laugh out loud, and I loved all the bits of humor thrown in.

While Perry and Aria were the main attractions of the book for me, I also enjoyed the world that Veronica Rossi created. It's a quirky mix of dystopian and sci-fi, and Rossi really made it work. Perry and Aria's world isn't all daisies and sunshine, and the two really have to rely on each other to survive. Rossi described everything in such a way that it was easy to follow and picture everything that Perry and Aria went through. Rossi may be a debut author, but she is one that I will definitely be following.

My Summary: Have I gushed enough for you? Under the Never Sky is definitely a book you shouldn't miss out on. I bet that when you read it your hands will be glued to your Kindle/book too. ;-)

My Rating: A+