caitpeterson

Love Letters

A stay-at-home Mom with one rambunctious toddler. I read far too much and do too little of anything else.

Bloodlines

Bloodlines - Richelle Mead Review originally posted on www.basiasbookshelf.com

Everyone and their uncle has or will do a review on this book, and so I won't bore you with yet another in depth review. If you're a fan of the Vampire Academy series, you're going to read it. If you haven't read the series yet, what the heck are you waiting for? *cough* Barbara *cough*

I can't tell you how excited and happy I was to be back in the VA world that Richelle Mead has so kindly given us. While Last Sacrifice gave us closure for Rose and Dimitri (squee! I love them so much), all of the other characters were left hanging. Bloodlines is the beginning of their life after the Vampire Academy. Our favorite people have all returned: Adrian, Sydney, Jill and Eddie. They've landed themselves in another private academy setting, only this time it's populated with humans and they must hide who they are from their classmates.

This book is told from Sydney's perspective, and she couldn't have been more different than Rose. I'm pleased that Sydney has a different voice, even though she and Rose were written by the same author. Sydney is not tough and she doesn't know how to throw a punch, but she's brilliant in her own respect. She's not as fiery as Rose, and that's okay. It worked for me and I really enjoyed the time I spent in Sydney's mind. It also looks like Sydney has some hidden talents that will be explored in later books. I can't wait!

Adrian is of course, Adrian. He quirky, selfish and oh so sweet. He had some great character progression throughout the story. Sydney's calming influence worked wonders on everyone, but especially Adrian. I was never on Team Adrian when it came to him and Rose, but now that he's got his own series - of sorts - I am definitely rootin' for his happily ever after. The poor guy got his heart ripped out and stomped on, and he deserves to be loved.

The only thing that I feel was needed was a prequel. There was a major event that happened at court with Adrian, Jill and Eddie that I felt wasn't explained well enough. Sydney of course wasn't there, and since Bloodlines was told from her perspective we didn't get great details on what happened. I would have felt better prepared to read this book if there had some some sort of prequel or prologue beforehand.

My Summary: This was a solid beginning to the series. Even though the characters are from the VA series, they've really created their own new world now. I'm just happy that I can follow along, and continue my fan girl obsession. Because only a truly devoted fan girl would spend an outrageous $11 on the Kindle version of this book. That right there should tell you how much I loved this book. ;-)

My Rating: A