caitpeterson

Love Letters

A stay-at-home Mom with one rambunctious toddler. I read far too much and do too little of anything else.

Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door - Stephanie Perkins Originally posted at Basia's Bookshelf

I have been waiting for this book since I finished reading Anna and the French Kiss... the first time. I love this author's voice and her ability to give us real, honest, heartfelt characters in sweet love story. Lola and the Boy Next Door did not disappoint.

Lola has her own sense of style. Instead of wearing the latest fads, she creates her own fashion from vintage clothes found in thrift stores or clothes she's made herself. She tops it off with wigs and crazy glasses, and someday wants to be a costume designer. She is the adopted daughter of two dads, has one best friend, one older, more experienced rocker boyfriend and is desperately trying to forget her first love. Cricket, the boy next door. Lola and Cricket had one magical summer two years ago, until Cricket started acting very strange and began pulling away. Then his family moved, leaving Lola behind with a broken heart.

Lola arrives home one day to find out that Cricket and his family have moved back home after two years of living away. Cricket longs to make up for past mistakes, and Lola takes an emotional journey to discover who she really is, and who she really wants.

Once again, Stephanie Perkins has given us one heck of an incredible story. Lola and her crazy costumes and funny monologues to herself have completely captured my heart. She could have been any real girl that I knew in high school. Being at the age where you're still a kid but on the verge of being an adult is so confusing. Ms. Perkins manages to bring out all those emotions and fears in her books. Reading a book written by her is like watching a real live event take place before my eyes. While I loved Lola, Cricket really stole the spotlight for me. He was utterly charming and adorable. He wanted Lola, and I'm so happy that he kept at it and didn't give up. Even with Lola taking her sweet time coming around to the idea.

Lola and Cricket were the perfect pair. Ms. Perkins has a gift of creating two characters who complement each other so well. Cricket sums it up perfectly:

"I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else."

My Summary: It's kind of a short review, but I honestly don't have one negative thing to say. You'll have to read it for yourself to understand. It's wonderful and witty and will make you laugh. You can't help but smile at Cricket and Lola's antics and conversation. This is one of those feel good novels that will lift you out of whatever funk you find yourself in. Cricket and Lola now have a permanent place in my Hall of Fame, and I will revisit them again and again.

My Rating: A+