caitpeterson

Love Letters

A stay-at-home Mom with one rambunctious toddler. I read far too much and do too little of anything else.

Deadly Cool (Hartley Featherstone)

Deadly Cool - Gemma Halliday Hartley's life was going so well. She had excellent grades, a loyal best friend and a sweet and very good looking boyfriend to cuddle with on a Friday night. She thinks everything is just perfect until she arrives at school to hear rumors about her boyfriend hooking up another girl, the self dubbed Chastity Queen and the most popular girl on the color guard team. Determined to confront him, she goes to his house after school and finds the other girl instead. Dead.

Later that night, Hartley arrives home exhausted and emotionally drained from the ordeal only to find her now ex-boyfriend waiting for her in her room. He swears he's innocent, and since Hartley is the only person he can trust he asks her to help clear his name. Despite his status as a cheating scumbag, Hartley knows he is telling the truth and sets out to help him. Along the way, she runs into Chase, the editor of the online school newspaper. He agrees to help her in the investigation if she lets him tag along and have exclusive rights to the story. The color guard queen isn't the only dead body they run into, and they know that time is running out and they have to find the killer before either of them are targeted next.

Deadly Cool is a modern version of Nancy Drew. When I first saw the cover I thought there might be some paranormal aspect to the book, but it turned out to be about teen sleuthes solving a murder mystery. The book was light and fun despite the serious event the characters were investigating. Hartley had great side commentary to herself, and she had me chuckling out loud quite a few times. I'm not sure I'd help a guy who cheated on me and then tried to lie about it, but Hartley was loyal despite that and I really admired that about her. The book is light on the romance, but there is a slight attraction to Chase, a guy she's seen around school but didn't know very well. I'm hoping we'll see more of him in later books and the romance will grow, but if the series remains centered on Hartley solving crime, I wouldn't be upset about it.

I'm not the kind of person that ever figures out who the killer is until the end of the book, but I was a little surprised by who it turned out to be. Even though the book was light and humorous, I didn't feel like the mystery part was light and easy. The author made us work a little bit, and I appreciated that.

My Summary: It was fun to have a return to a Nancy Drew style of book. It was also refreshing to read a story that didn't have any fantasy elements, and focused on the characters and the mystery. I will definitely be reading more books by the author, and I can't wait to continue on with Hartley and her crime solving friends.

My Rating: A