caitpeterson

Love Letters

A stay-at-home Mom with one rambunctious toddler. I read far too much and do too little of anything else.

Bleeding Hearts (Drake Chronicles)

Bleeding Hearts - Alyxandra Harvey Rating is 3.5 stars.

I didn't stumble onto this series until the first three books were already out, and I found them very entertaining and read through them quickly. The Drake Chronicles series follows the many Drake siblings through their love stories, as well as the vampire politics and drama their family is a part of. Each book is told from multiple point of views, so that we can have an overall understanding of what's happening. This book focuses on Connor Drake, Christabel and Lucy, the human friend that grew up with the Drake family (Lucy has her own love story with Nicholas, another Drake brother, in the first book of the series).

Christabel has recently moved to Violet Hill to live with her cousin Lucy, after her mom is put into a rehab center. She loves to read and prefers books to people, but even with her nose stuck in a book she notices that things aren't what they seem in this supposedly sleepy town. Through Lucy, she meets Connor and immediately tells herself she's not interested even though he's the most gorgeous guy she's ever seen. Connor is your typical computer whiz kid, and has seen every episode of Star Trek ever produced. Christabel is kidnapped, mistakenly believed to be Lucy, Connor chases after her and the two realize that they aren't so very different after all.

Meanwhile, Lucy is struggling. The Drake family is pushing her out, despite the amount of time she's spent in their home, and the biggest culprit is her best friend Solange (the youngest Drake sibling and only girl). The family feel it best to keep their distance for her safety, but Lucy wants to stand and fight at their side not be pushed to the background. She knows that she needs to be stronger, and sets out to make that happen. The enemies of the Drake family are closing in, and everyone must fight to protect the ones they love.

If you couldn't tell, there is a lot going on in this series. There are several characters and sometimes it's hard to keep them all straight, especially the Drake brothers. There also isn't one enemy, so the Drake's seem to be fighting battles on all fronts. In previous books, the main story was about the couple, but I didn't feel that was the case in this book. Connor and Christabel's story was tightly woven into the overall plot, but the events happening from Lucy's point-of-view were the most important. She also took up more page time, so we didn't get a lot of time to get to know Connor and Christabel. In a lot of ways it made it harder to feel the chemistry between the two. I found myself anxious to get back to Lucy's POV, because the events happening to her and from her perspective were more interesting.

Despite the multiple POV's and all of the action, it's still a simple and easy series to read. There isn't a ton of relationship angst, and you just know that everything is going to work out all right in the end. I couldn't help but fall in love with the Drake siblings, and I want them to find peace and live happily ever after. Lucy is the main draw for me though. She is determined to protect her friends, despite her humanness, and I love how loyal and protective she is of the family. I almost wish that the story was told mainly from her point-of-view, and was focused more on her and Nicholas rather than the siblings each getting their own book. Lucy and Nicholas are the couple I fell in love with first, and want more of.

And for those of you who have read the series, what the heck is wrong with Solange?! You have to read the book and then come back and discuss, because she's doing some shady things in this book.

My Summary: I definitely recommend starting the series with the first book. Each one builds on the previous, and you would be lost if you read the series out of order. Plus, it gives you time to get to know the family and attempt to keep everyone straight. I do recommend this series though. It's breezy, light and all around just fun to read. I'm eagerly anticipating the next book to see how everything is resolved. And well, I'm just excited to see more of Lucy and Nicholas. Can't wait for book five!

My Rating: B+