caitpeterson

Love Letters

A stay-at-home Mom with one rambunctious toddler. I read far too much and do too little of anything else.

First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, Book 1)

First Drop of Crimson - Jeaniene Frost I finished this book yesterday morning and I spent the day musing over it and trying to form some kind of opinion. I've decided that I liked it. There were good and bad things about the book, but overall the hours I spent reading it weren't wasted.

Things I liked:

-Spade was really sexy. That shower scene... whoa baby!

-I felt the connection between the two... by the end of the story. Which, if we're thinking positively, is better than not feeling it at all.

-My two favorite characters made an appearance.

-The writing and descriptions were consistent with the Night Huntress series books. She didn't create a brand new world just for Spade and Denise.

-Ian was absolutely hilarious. I would love for him to have his own story. It would take a pretty kick-arse woman to tame that man!

Things I didn't like:

-The whole beginning was just.. weird. They both just hopped right into it and there was hardly any build-up at all. Also, the whole reason for not calling Cat & Bones seemed contrived and unbelievable. I almost wonder if Ms. Frost wanted to give the readers time to get to know Spade and Denise on their own, without Cat & Bones intruding. I admit, when Bones first called Spade I squealed like a crazy fan. Then when he showed up, I lost sight of Spade and couldn't wait to get more of Bones. I'm obsessed, what can I say?

-Denise kind of bugged me. She wasn't the worst female character ever written, but she wasn't the best either. Some characters are written to be side characters and really, they should stay that way. I didn't think Denise was super great in her own love story. Her complaining about being left behind over and over again, became old real quick. Woman, you don't have any skills. You're just going to get everyone killed if you arrive at the front lines, trying to fight. They'll spend more time protecting you then actually fighting. Why can't some female characters understand that?!

So, didn't hate it, but didn't love it. I couldn't come up with a solid rating, so depending on what we're talking about, the number will change. It was all right for a one time read. At the very least, you'll get your Bones fix which should last you until the next Night Huntress book is out. Maybe. ;-)