caitpeterson

Love Letters

A stay-at-home Mom with one rambunctious toddler. I read far too much and do too little of anything else.

The Iron Duke (A Novel of the Iron Seas)

The Iron Duke -  Meljean Brook 3.5 Stars

I'm not really sure what to say about this book. I was all hot and fired to read it, and then ended up struggling during the ride.

What I liked: the characters and the romance. I felt like they were written well and could have been real people. The romance and lusty lovin' was smokin'!

What I had a hard time with: I just couldn't get my mind wrapped around the world. Maybe it's because it was my first real foray into steampunk, but I had a hard time picturing in my head everything Meljean Brook was describing. For example, I couldn't figure out how the main character looked so different from everyone else. Was it because she had dark hair and everyone else had blonde hair? Was it her facial structure? I kept struggling to NOT picture her as a neanderthal.

So really, it was a good story but I personally had a hard time with the setting. Maybe I'll try out a few more steampunk novels to get into the swing of it, then come back to this one.